Our culture puts a lot of emphasis on blame when it comes to being overweight. People are villainized for being lazy or unaware of the “right” way. But there is no one right way to lose weight, and when we take steps to improve our overall wellness, weight loss comes as an added bonus.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to our good friend Dr. Rangan Chatterjee about creating a customized weight loss plan and digging into the real reasons we struggle with weight (hint: it’s not a lack of willpower).
Dr. Chatterjee is regarded as one of the most influential medical doctors in the UK and wants to change how medicine will be practiced for years to come. His mission is to help 100 million people around the globe live better lives. He hosts the most listened to health podcast in the UK and Europe, Feel Better, Live More—which regularly tops the Apple Podcast charts and is listened to by over 2 million people every single month. Each of Dr. Chatterjee’s four books have been Sunday Times bestsellers including his latest, Feel Great, Lose Weight, which was just published in the US and Canada.
In this episode, we dive into:
– Getting off the blame game when it comes to weight loss (4:32)
– Why what you eat might not be the most important thing when it comes to weight loss (24:14)
– Eating behavior and stress response (29:44)
– The connection between trauma and obesity (31:24)
– Why we continue to eat foods that we know are sabotaging our efforts, despite our best intentions (38:06)
– The Freedom Exercise to overcome cravings (43:26)
– Foods that are hijacking our ability to make good decisions (49:21)
– Why weight loss is not about willpower (52:51)
– How food is engineered to be addictive (55:51)
– How sleep impacts our eating habits (1:00:33)